Sony has decided it was time to give us some additional information on their next console, starting with confirming two things: It will indeed be called the PlayStation 5, and it’s releasing in 2020!
1) The console is indeed called the PlayStation 5.
2) The target release date is Holiday 2020.
3) The PS5 will include a new controller that will feature haptic feedback instead of regular rumble.
4) The controller will also include adaptive triggers:
Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.
5) Games will be available at retail on 100 GB discs.
6) Ray-tracing is certainly a thing the PS5 can do, as per Mark Cerny’s comment:
There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware
7) The console will include a solid-state drive (SSD).
8) The optical drive for the PlayStation 5 will double as a 4K Bluray player.
9) The PS5 controller will feature improved speakers for better immersion.
10) The… interestingly looking prototype dev kit that was leaked? That seems to be a mostly accurate representation of what the current dev kit looks like.