Launch Day Reasons to be Excited about the PS4
Massive Leap in 3D Graphics Tech: The general 3D tech and graphics look well beyond what previous console games. Even the super high end PC games on max settings like Crysis 3 don’t look as good (IMO) as Killzone Shadow Fall. This tech leap is something to be excited about. People downplay flashy graphics as merely superficial dressing, but you can perceive more of the virtual worlds with clarity. You can buy more powerful hardware on a PC, but PC developers only target much less powerful laptops so you really don’t see that in the games. PS4 will really show what more hardware can do.
New Hardware: Trying the excellent new controller with native PS4 games is worth looking forward to. It’s kind of silly, but I’m excited to see the console box itself.
New OS: There are a ton of new features on the PS4 OS to check out: completely new interface, app switching, new store, possibly updated media apps, new social features, and game video sharing.
Variety of Games: There probably won’t be an epic Dark Souls quality game of the decade, but (IMO) this is by far the broadest launch lineup of any system:
- Killzone: the perfect single/multi FPS. The Helghan parallels to German history are really cool story elements. I hope they remove the dudebro.
- BF4: This series is a great vehicle centric multiplayer title. This entry should be a nice improvement with higher fidelity.
- Knack: The graphics and tech will be amazing. The game could be a hit or miss.
- NFS Rivals: Looks like a really excellent arcade racer. Personally, I prefer Motorstorm, (not sure how DriveClub will be) but this will suffice.
- Lego Marvel: Great title for co-op play with kids
- Resogun: Highly accessible shooter with great graphics.
- DC Universe Online: A deep, full content MMORPG on day one? Nice! This game has come a long way since launch and I’m sure the PS4 version is much easier to enjoy than the PS3: I expect much sharper graphics and more responsive.
- Contrast: No idea what to expect, but a great freebie!
- Flower And Sound Shapes: For those of us who bought on PS3, these are free! Wow! I question how much Sound Shapes will benefit from newer hardware, but Flower will be awesome to replay.
- Others: sports games, Trine 2, Injustice fighting game, and handful of downloadables.
Playroom: I have a toddler daughter who can play some baby tablet games, but obviously can’t play a console game. Even the Wii was too complex. The Move games that let her see herself on the TV screen were more accessible, but were still too much. Young kids want less of a structured game and more of just a free form toy. Playroom looks like that toy. I am dying to see my daughter’s reactions to this. I’m sure the majority of the crowd on this site without kids aren’t terribly interested.